(If you just joined us, check out part 1 and part 2 first!)
So here I was with three stacks awaiting spiral binding. I did a final run-through to make sure the pages were aligned as well as possible on the binding side. I also printed a front and back cover page for each volume and cut them to match the page size. (You’ll see the cover on the finished pictures below!) The front basically has the NA27 title info, plus the books included in the volume. The back has my name, address, and contact information in case poor Smeagol should ever lose his Precioussss… These I had Office Depot laminated in lieu of the covers they provide with spiral binding. The laminated covers should offer some protection for the interior pages, and they’re shiny!
I took them into Office Depot, order the spiral-punching and binding, and then went home to worry the rest of the night. One potential problem vexed me some. In this initial binding cut, there was evidently a slight curvature to the pages, and as I collated, I could tell some unevenness on the binding edge of each page. Which meant that potentially, the pages with less room between the text and binding edge could find holes going through the words of the text! Not good! I felt confident there was room enough, if they hole-punched straight, by the hourly employee of the local office supply store. Goo!
Well, I returned the next day, and my books were safe and alive! (The spiral work is about 2-6 dollars, depending on who rings it up!)
Here they were…
You can see the three volumes, each one weighing in about the size of the original NA27 by itself.
The spiral binding is very secure. I know some people worry about hole-punching and binding because of experience with 3-ring notebooks and the constant tearing of pages with normal use. But in spiral-binding each hole (30 of them on these babies) supports each other and so you have much more strength. They feel very sturdy!
What about the inside? Were my fears confirmed or relieved?
As you can see hear to the left, the original binding cut was a little slanted. But no words of the actual text were wiped out! You can also see the glorious blank page to the right for note-taking!
Here is another picture of a much tighter page! Here the holes go right up to the words, touching a letter or two, but not obscuring them. (Whew! Sigh of relief) So if you want to copy this project, figure out a way to cut the binding off straighter for more consistent pages!
I was a little worried that the difference in thickness between the NT pages and blank ones would be problematic. NA27 pages are extremely thin. But with the spiral binding, it flips pretty well, and the blank pages actually seem to support and protect the thinner ones somewhat.
So I had done it! I started a project, and with no leftover pieces. Maybe this was the beginning of something new, the dawn of a new era in successful projects for me.
AND THEN I SAW IT.
If you recall from part 2, I originally planned on having Matthew-John in one volume, but when I had to go to 3, I moved John from the first stack to go before Acts in volume 2. And apparently in all that switching and flipping, I put John on top backwards!
You can see the outer edge on the inside by the spirals. Essentially, John flipped from right-to-left. If only this was Hebrew, not Greek! Volume 2 went John 21-John 1, then Acts 1-2 Corinthians.
It turned out to be a pretty simple fix, though. De-binding the spirals is pretty easy (You cut off the bent-end and basically uncoil it through the holes). I then took John out, separated the NT pages from the blank (since I don’t have to recut those), and took the John pages into Office Depot to have the spiral holes punched on the opposite side. I also went ahead and had them trim the holes off the other side. This was partly just for aesthetic reasons, but also the holes on the outside edge could catch something and start a tear in a page. After that, I re-collated John with the blank pages again, and then ran the coil through it. To finish it, I twisted the end of the spiral coil to lock it off.
So I was finished. A little snafu. But success. I wrote on the last page of volume 3 something like this.
“Blank New Testament completed September 22, 2009. I hope that it will be filled before 2020!”
Filed under: Projects | Tagged: Blank Bible, Greek, New Testament | 3 Comments »